Search This Blog

Friday, January 28, 2011

127 Hours.


This is not a movie review....you may call it a fan-mail !!

Dad had specifically told me to be more objective in my next review...but this is not a review as I've already mentioned.

Sorry Dad :P

So how do I start about this incredible movie ?! Lets just say that I've seen the trailer like fifty times, and have been

hunting it everywhere google would take me. And on 07th January @ 07.43 am I find it on my computer....hows that?!

So, Without even trying to be cryptic....I LOVED THE FILM !! No two ways of expressing it. There are films you watch with humungous expectations and they tend to backfire, OR It is the other way round...you start watching a movie with no expectations and you end up...surprised. This one does not belong to any of the above-mentioned Stratas. I had HUGE EXPECTATIONS from this one...and it delivered too !

Danny Boyle is a serious thinker...The phrase "Out of the Box" - is so apt for his filming style, His entire approach to a story is energetic and even infectious if you may call it that. He again takes us on a journey...in the canyons, between ravines...and gigantic boulders.. and tells us a story of an individual's ordeal that lasted "127 Hours" (yes..thats where the title comes from).

To be honest with you, I checked out the trailer only because it had Rahman's Soundtrack. I simply did not care if the movie had James Franco in the lead..or for that matter Ashton Kutcher OR Collin Farrell (The worst Hollywood have..) With the very first trailer..I could sense something special was in store...But then again the cynic inside me said that its just another rescue-operation movie like "Vertical Limit".. So with apprehension I waited.... and then the Soundtrack came out. "Rahman-e-jannat" thats exactly how my brother described it...and true it was. This again raised the bar...and Danny Boyle was suddenly a much more respected figure in my book.

Every scene speaks out loud - "Do you see me... Hollywood ?? I've come to break all your norms for lighting, set-design, sound-design Camera-postions..and also your cliched potrayal of Hallucinations" Every scene. Everything from the close up of the tap leaking droplets to the shot in which the you see the protagonist's tongue trying to lick every last drop of water from his bottle. Who takes such shots ?? It may look insane...but thats what stands out about Danny Boyle's imaginative Direction. Simon Beaufoy's screenplay makes it a relevant watch. That sparkling scene where the protagonist goes...on to mimic a TV Show, while tired of trying to get out of the sticky-situation and he goes.."Oops..!!" He deserves accolades for making it engaging for the viewer, Otherwise Incredible-True Stories are somehow always lost in translation, and it is Beaufoy's genius that keeps the movie intact. And now...for the person whom I never paid any heed to while watching the trailer - JAMES FRANCO. Stupendous performance to say the least, to act the way he does takes a lot of talent and amazing precision on the material. His towering performance is what tells you that you're not watching a re-run of "I shouldn't be alive" on Discovery. The performance is what you would take home. A special mention for the Sound-Designing Dept who have done an amazing job. The Score and the "Boom-bangs" are seriously what you're looking for...!!

I've been biased ?? Yeah..tell me more.

Its so good to see a good movie. And again...this is a fan speaking for some amazingly gifted-technicians. Danny Boyle, Simon Beaufoy,Anthony Dod Mantle (Cinematography), and James Franco....look forward to your next projects.

P.S : A R Rahman, see you in tomorrow-morning's prayers !!

No comments: